Brentford 2 Southampton 2. A competitive entertaining pre-season game. What did we learn?
A decent crowd turned up to watch a surprisingly competitive pre-season game that saw Bees use their new signings. A draw was a fair result with each side donating a goal. Brentford looked the sharper side early on and scored with a nicely worked goal from Vibe. Two Charlie Austin goals put the visitors in front before a howler from the fierce looking Fraser Forster gifted Brentford a late but deserved equaliser.
So what were the main learnings? Here are my thoughts:
- Fans will turn up in decent numbers for a pre-season game especially if the new players are on show
- Despite all the rumours Jota looked fit, interested and made a few Southampton defenders look quite silly at times, being allowed to run around them and then across the penalty area.
- I am no expert in physical fitness but for me these players looked far fitter than in previous seasons. The game was played by both teams sensibly, with a few good challenges but nothing rash nor dangerous.
- Daniel Bentley looked a class goalkeeper making a couple of excellent saves, whereas Forster looked distinctly rusty.
- The Brentford style this year will be an attacking style using the wing and the concern will be not whether we score goals, which we will, but how to concede less. It is complex to read anything into a single game but to me the body language of Harlee Dean was not positive. Is he on his way out? Will it be Barbet and Egan in central defence? Dalsgaard looked solid at full back and Colin had his usual good game. Difficult to predict the right back starter. Good to see Mokotjo defending also as last line of defence.
- Kamo Mokotjo looked good, scary and solid. He reminded me of Toumani speeded up. He did make a few mistakes but rapidly corrected them. It is hard to see Yennaris getting many games.
- Lasse Vibe is a class player. His hairstyle this year will be curious. Probably still our first choice striker. Neal Maupay and Ollie Watkins both looked good and created mischief in the Southampton defence.
- Florian J looked good too, maybe fitter, quicker and more stylish than last year.
Brentford fans will be looking forward to the season knowing that the size and strength of the squad means there will be healthy competition for places, and allows for injuries and suspensions. Why will we not be a top 6 side?
A full set of photos can be found on chrisbushephotography.com