Gibraltar. Dont believe in the hype and glamour.
Do not be fooled by the glamarous sounding name, this is a very average place. The people who may thrive here are few but will be folks that like to smoke and drink constantly. Preferably dont eat, or drink coffee , because these vices are incredibly expensive. The fun part of Gibraltar falls into 3 components
- Seeing the Rock as you drive along the Southern Spanish coast
- The fun of walking across the runway to get into Gibraltar ( the only way, and yes, they give you good warning when the planes are coming)
- Dolphin trips in the bay, when there are dolphins to be seen ( and there were none the day in June we went)
The bad things?
- Little else really to do ( ok i know the rock and the apes etc……..)
- appalling queue to get out as customs frisk each spaniard who is carryinh more than 20 cigarettes ( but interestingly get it right, we saw a woman produce endless packets from around her ample waist, which remained ample afterwards)
- Apart from alcohol and tobacco, the price of everything is high. Three cups of tea in Casement Square £10
I bring you the photographic evidence.