After day 6 and some frantic games with perhaps unexpected results is anything clearer after a few teams have played 2 matches? The Bookmakers somewhat surprisingly to me have France as the favourites 7/2 with Germany the same.
- France are unlikely to win the tournament and have laboured to beat 2 average teams Albania and Romania, and can consider themselves lucky to have 6 points. They have not impressed going forward and look suspect in defence to good wide play. Semi-final place beckons.
- Germany looked a complete team and are potentially a winner. However their soporific and uninspiring performance against Poland did not suggest a Euro 2016 winner tag just yet.
- Spain at 4/1 would be a brave bet after their opening game last minute victory over a stubborn but utterly boring and negative Czech republic.
- The bookmakers then have 2 more surprise odds, with England at 7/1 and Italy 10/1. England looked average against Russia, who we now know are one of the weakest sides at euro 2016, and were fortunate to beat Wales 2-1 having had a really poor first half. Sterling and Kane did not cover themselves with glory and were simply dreadful. Hart looks suspect. Italy however looked good and strong and had a far more positive ethos than in recent years and were good value for the victory over Belgium.
- From the others Croatia looked a solid side, but probably not a contender for the crown and Portugal disappointed enormously against Iceland.
Allowing for the quirks of the draw the 4 teams I expect to see in the semi-finals are Germany, Italy, Spain and France. A Germany v Italy final might be the outcome. With Italy to win.