A good day in the sunshine. An easy win for Brentford against Bristol City. Some talking points and some photographs. What did we learn for the Leeds game tonight?
The media generally reported this as an easy, almost routine win for Brentford. The Bristol fans were quite negative and some of them frankly abusive towards their team even at 1-0 down. I happen to disagree with both these views. Brentford for me played superbly, and played as a team. What was noticeable ( and dare I mention statistically proven probably) was the high energy and work rate and no shirking tackles. There were no real negatives from this performance other than Brentford might and should have scored 4-5 goals.
Before the game Bristol were in high spirits and came here on the back of some excellent results including a 4-0 demolition of Huddersfield a few weeks ago. From the start Brentofrd were on top and this pattern continued for the next 94 minutes.
As a Brentford fan I find it sometimes frustrating photographing them and wanting to stop, watch and applaude. This is not becoming of a “neutral” photographer.
A few talking and thinking points to take forward for the Leeds game tonight:
- Konstantin Kerschbaumer (KK). This was the best game he has had in a Brentford shirt and there is little to support a return for Yennaris. His play was 100% and he constantly rattled the Bristol midfield and defence.
- I cannot recall Bentley really having to make a save of note during the game. Even in the aftermath of the flare at full-time he hardly had to move swiftly.
- In some games I have photographed there are players that crop up in every photo, Jota and Sawyers for examples, but in this game it was Lasse vibe, who was easily for me the MOM. Not only for his superb headed goal ( should be able to head a goal over a keeper signifiantly taller than him?), but his workmate . Again maybe the best game in a Brentford shirt.
- Rico Henry was a constant thorn in the Bristol side and never gave them a moments peace. How can Tom Field force his way back into that position? I do not think he can.
- I often fail to understand decisions from the referee. But how exactly was this not a foul on Vibe? Maybe his eye was on the ball…..hmmm.
- This Bristol fan was unhappy at half time and expressed his negative views of Lee Johnson as the players left the pitch at half time.
- Should Dean Smith change the team at all for tonight against Leeds? My own views are that Egan should replace Barbet. Otherwise leave the team alone with the exception of the seemingly injured Colin, who yet again improves throughout a season. Josh Clarke will start.
- Lastly every player was superb and it is unfair to single anyone out, but Dean had Tammy Abraham in his pocket all game. A player seemingly destined for the premiership next season.
- Just a great day out for Bees fans.